Welcome to the Oweninny Power Wind Farm Website.
About the Project
Oweninny Power Wind Farm will be developed on Oweninny bog, adjacent to Bellacorick located in North Mayo. The Oweninny Power Wind Farm is owned by Oweninny Power DAC, a 50:50 joint venture project between ESB and Bord na Móna. In June 2016, An Bord Pleanala granted planning permission for the development of Oweninny Power Wind Farm consisting of 61 turbines with a tip height of up to 176m. The project will be built over two phases and the Wind Farm will generate renewable electricity for the domestic electricity market in Ireland
Construction Overview (Phase 1)
Phase 1 will be completed in 2019 and has six main construction elements:
- Construction of foundations for the turbines and the development of access tracks and crane hard standings on the site.
- Installation of 29 wind turbines at the site.
- Construction of an electrical substation.
- Installation of underground cables from the wind turbines to the substation which is located within the site boundary.
- Construction of an underground cable from the wind farm site into the existing electricity substation in Bellacorrick.
- Construction of a Visitor Centre. The Centre will provide insight to the history of power generation, peat production, ecological interests and the social history of the area. In addition, the Centre will be made available for use by the community.
Phase 2 is still being developed and once completed, the Oweninny Power Wind Farm will:
- Comprise 61 wind turbines.
- Have a capacity to export 172 Megawatts (MW) of electricity, which will produce electricity for approximately 100,000 households* and a reduction of 210,000 tonnes of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) annually*. www.iwea.com*